And Off to Court We Go: please help me save the dogs!

September 8, 2010

From Let’s Adopt Canada
By Janette

This afternoon my husband and I must attend the provincial courts and defend our dogs. Let me explain. We live in a city that thinks pet limit laws make responsible pet owners. Barrie Ontario has limited the number of dogs a person can own to three. I have eight dogs. Eight dogs no one else wanted, eight dogs who are alive because we do not believe they deserve to die. Now five of those dogs are in danger once again. The city wants to remove them from our loving home and place them in the shelter system. In other words they wish to take dogs with loving homes and make them homeless.

The city would do better to concentrate on complaints about pet owners who are not caring for their pets, there are enough of them out there, such as my neighbor across the street who tie their hound mix out in the yard and allow him to howl all day. Or the gentleman (I use the term loosely) three blocks away who beats his dog every time it barks at a passing stranger.

Our dogs are vetted regularily (I have the vet records to prove it) they are well fed well, exercised, and well trained, after all I am a dog trainer. I have been rescuing and rehoming animals at my OWN expense for years. I have the vet bills to prove that too. No animal leaves my care until it has been spayed or neutered, also at MY expense. Two years ago an eleven year old rescue who had been thrown away by her backyard breeding owners because she could no longer have puppies was fixed and vetted at an expense of over $1600.00. We then placed her in a loving home at no cost to the new owner. Had this dog ended up in the shelter system she would have been euthanized as unadoptable because of her age and temperment before the surgery she required to fix her rotting teeth.

If the city gets their way, I will be unable to help these dogs and give them a second chance. That is why we need YOU Canadians. We need you to tell the city of Barrie that their bylaws KILL good dogs who have done nothing wrong. We need you to tell them that our dogs deserve a second chance at life. We need you to make them understand that dogs are living things and not a commodity to be traded.

Please write to city hall and City Council and tell them the Hamilton dogs have done nothing wrong and should be left alone. You can reach Mayor Aspden and the city council at the following email addresses:

Mayor Aspden:
officeofthemayor@barrie.ca

City Council:
deputations@barrie.ca

Please help us save the lives of our dogs!

Until Tomorrow Remember,

BE THE CHANGE

1. Deb Conner permalink
    September 8, 2010 7:34 pm

Dont ANY Canadian authorities have any common sense or intelligence whatsoever?! Look what Nova Scotia put Francesca Rogiers through in the case of ‘Brindi’, her dog. Damn morons, obviously.

2. September 9, 2010 6:12 am

City governments, governments at any level really do not consider individuals they look at numbers, there is no logic or common sense when you reduce everything in life to a number. Compassion and common sense do not exist when the humanity is taken out of the equation.

3. Alma permalink
    September 9, 2010 12:08 pm

I will write to them. I just need a name for you, otherwise they will not know what I’m talking about.

4. Inga permalink
    September 9, 2010 3:59 pm

I’ve emailed the mayor, too. I hope you get to keep your beloved and well looked after dogs. I feel your pain.

5. Valerie permalink
    September 9, 2010 11:14 pm

Hi ~ just sent emails off to the 2 addresses you noted…hope it helps..this is unbeilable that you are going through this awful mess. Please keep us posted on how things go. Cheers, Valerie.

6. Laura permalink
    September 10, 2010 12:26 am

They need to instead crack down hard on all breeders for bringing more animals into this world for profit. They need to outlaw breeding for profit. This insanity has got to stop.

7. MICHELLE MOREL permalink
    September 10, 2010 5:36 pm

THIS IS SO SAD THAT CARING PEOPLE OF OUR BELOVED ANIMAL FRIENDS ARE BEING VICTIMIZE FOR CARING FOR ANIMALS THAT ARE NOT WANTED TEN THOSAND TIMES OVER IN THIS OVER POPULATED WORLD. SO SHOCKING IF I HAD MONEY I WOULD ALSO HAVE A LOAD OF ANIMALS AS THEY NEEDED LOVE AND TENDER CARE

8. COMTESSE permalink
    September 13, 2010 2:25 pm

Je Remarque Que Suivant les dires des Propriétaires CES CHIENS SONT Québec 5 en Très Bonne Santé et qu’ils nominale attester may des documents au Québec LEURS SONT animaux suivis vétérinaire par l’ONU . Si CES animaux SONT Heureux dommage de les transfer CE QUI Leur occasionnerait des Traumatismes et d’ une partie Autre , JE C’Est Que Trouvé ONU ATTEINTE A LA LIBERTE D’ QUE Imposer des Nations Unies NOMBRE D’ANIMAUX DETENIR A? Sur Peut Agir lorsqu’elle l Les Autorités constatent qu’il ya abus suis je … Fait en accord Propriétaires Avec les verser UNE Fois Que l’ Trouvé sur des gens Qui aiment les animaux en Notre monde en déliquescence Qui partie , il NE mettre Faut pas Nations Unies genre CE frein à l’action et d’ encéphalite japonaise souhaite De tout coeur Que DIEU Accorde à this famille de Pouvoir Garder LEURS 5 chiens .