Too many strays? Italian Rep proposes to BURN them! Please protest.

August 30, 2010

By Loredana Versaci

1. Please send message using sample below or in your own words expressing your horror at the statement that strays should be burned alive!
2. Please also visit HERE to send Mayor Alberico Villani a message in your own words (or modify the sample message below) protesting his decision to SHOOT stray animals. Click E-mail Scrivi al Comune to send a message directly via the site. Also visit his site HERE. Thank you.

BACKGROUND:

From Alte temperatura in Sardegna ma per i cani da bruciare secondo il consigliere cacciatore Bardanzellu

There is a hunter and a Regional Rep (in Italy they are equated to MPs, but get much more money) in Sardinia. One of the WORST Italian Regions for animals, one of the most beautiful in the world for heartless (or blind) humans: you see dead, abandoned, or abused animals everywhere, especially if you leave the coast and travel in the countryside.

Now, this monster proposes to BURN STRAYS because it’s the “only way” to solve the trouble. They are troglodytes, they don’t consider spay/neuter, they don’t respect our ONLY protection law (L 281/91) that imposes to chip animals and speuter strays.

It’s a CRIME to burn animals, it’s a crime to call to violence (istigazione al reato in Italian), for persons like this, it’s a crime for the government to promote by NOT condemning this type of language.

Naturally our orgs have done nothing so far, I’m will report him to the police tomorrow, but I’m a private citizen and nobody will notice my report. We are writing to the Regional Parliament, but they don’t give a damn.

That’s why I need your voice, Sardinia lives on tourism (and sheepfarming, like in your Countries a century ago) and YOU are potential tourists. Please write, tell them to fire that person and take action legally; tell them that you will BOYCOTT; even though the season is almost finished they don’t want this publicity.

I know, he won’t burn anyone and opened his rotten mouth just to raise awareness on a problem he contributed to create… BUT in this Country strays are burnt alive for true, and this is not funny at all. Anyway, I don’t trust hunters.

A few lines, in your language, are enough to let them know that everybody knows in the world, or you can use the sample, but please modify and personalize so they get a variety.

WHERE TO SEND YOUR MESSAGE:

Copy/Paste emails as a group into your email TO: and hit one carriage RETURN or ENTER (the large key on the right of standard keyboards, some indicate Return, some Enter), which will automatically distribute the addresses on individual lines, the first two are governmental the rest media:

presidenzaconsiglio@consregsardegna.it
serv.segreteria@consregsardegna.it
redazione@sassarinotizie.com
tgr.sardegna@rai.it
videolina@videolina.it
info@sardegna1.it
unione@unionesarda.it
cronaca@lanuovasardegna.it
redazione@antenna1sardegna.tv
redazione@alghero.tv
info@catalantv.it
redazione@ffwebmagazine.it

SAMPLE MESSAGE:

To Whom It Concerns,

It has come to my attention that your Regional Representative, Mr Bardanzellu,  has proposed a decidedly cruel manner to reduce “homeless” animal numbers.  Let me remind you of the Law 181/91 that mandates your intervening care for strays: to neuter, spay, provide appropriate medical treatments, and to microchip family dogs in order to prevent abandonements.  As established, it gives you, as authorities, the responsibility of caring for animals in your Region.  However, in a demonstration of abject, malicious cruelty and neglect, Mr. Bardanzellu proposes to BURN them, and not a word came from you to condemn his statement, much less the proposed actions, to the newspapers. Burning animals is not only criminal, it also is a promotion of criminal acts, and by remaining silent, you are establishing your potential complicity in criminal acts.

Addressing animals as targets of abuse is inherently inhumane and barbaric given that it substantiates the precept of animals as products, speciesism, rather than fundamentally equal and deserving of compassion and lives free from exploitation and suffering. To aspire to such an a principled and equitable foundation should be the goal of all societies, and you should thus refuse participation in any event that incurs such cruelty on animals, and in this situation particularly given that cats and dogs hold such global recognition, respect, and compassion. Animals are sentient beings, like humans, and worthy of empathy, compassion, and respect. I therefore respectfully ask you to take action immediately, to show the world that Sardinia is a civil Region, and to remove Mr. Bardanzellu immediately.  Until that moment, me, my family and friends are definitely intentioned to boycott your Region, and to ask everyone to do likewise. Not one cent must be spent in Sardinia if you tolerate such criminal representatives.

NAME
ADDRESS

1. karen lyons kalmenson permalink
    August 30, 2010 10:23 am

emailed this poem:
    your strays did not ask to be born
    and yet you treat them with
    such scorn
    unwanted and unloved
    …it is kindness that they need
    instead you do this foul, foul
    deed
    your heart and soul needs to learn
    animals are to be cherished
    not to be burned!!!!!

2. August 30, 2010 10:29 am

Sent letter and poem. Thank you, Karen!

• karen lyons kalmenson permalink
      August 30, 2010 11:07 am

you are welcome, irina…i wrote this poem for loredana’s original FB post

3. Christy Melanson permalink
    August 30, 2010 11:00 am

Done love :)thanks for the letter Xx

4. Sagarika Deb permalink
    August 30, 2010 11:04 am

How disgusting….how can people even think something like this.

5. Ileana Carmen Carare permalink
    August 30, 2010 11:07 am

I’m so enraged….!!!! Letter sent right away!!!

6. Ann(USA) permalink
    August 30, 2010 12:33 pm

To whom ever this person is that dictates in Italy Goverment is really a cold, self centered Italian Barbarian. It is horrifying to know that is what they think of a living being trying to survive as a stray and have babies to boot. There are so many strays for the mere true fact that they do not recognize animals as pets so no one takes them in or feeds them and they usually get shooed away very horrifically sometimes I might add. How do I know this I am an Italian person that visited there with relatives and saw all the strays they just shoo out of the town into some place they can not come back to town and do not feed them. Most of the animals I saw were very friendly but they said don’t go near the animals for that reason they do not get to be part of anyone’s life and are very good animals dogs and cats. This one place I visited had many stray dogs and of course farm animals, they do not buy meat they say it is expensive I know that is not correct for they raise farm animals for eggs, food consumpiton. They do not let anyone know that and hide behind a fake smile and warm welcome but in reality as I know too well, most I ran into are cold and fake and do not care about animals. In the big cities such as Milan, Rome they might take animals in partly because city folks might be more educated, the old Italians mostly from small towns are ignorant and not educated.

We must get the word out to the dictator of Italy and let them know this is wrong, would they do this to their mother, father, kids, brother would they do that. Sardinia is a small place and have their own rules as most places do. But Italy is run by one person and we need to get the word out to that person even if it means by means of the media, newspapers or even CNN here in the US Italians do not like their dirty laundry hnng out to dry they sare way too proud of the fakeness they posssess to the world. But growing up Italian I know better. Please lets help these poor animals that are shunned is more like it no wonder they have big population. Burning a living being that is insane ok. They must be drinking way too much Vino.

7. Ann(USA) permalink
    August 30, 2010 12:35 pm

There has to be rescue groups there. The pounds are full and you should see how the animals are being treated in the city pounds too. Bari had a huge problem with this.

8. sharon Collette permalink
    August 30, 2010 1:34 pm

I tried to send the email and got this ? Please help !.
    There was a problem!

Please check all email addresses. Looks like one of them may not be formatted correctly.

• August 30, 2010 1:49 pm

Sharon, for Yahoo you need to copy and paste each email separately; Comcast will support a mass copy/paste in the manner I wrote, but not Yahoo. Does that make sense?

9. Kathleen Miles permalink
    August 30, 2010 1:40 pm

How do I send the letter?????

• August 30, 2010 1:50 pm

Hi, Kathleen, you will want to copy the email addresses either separately or as a whole and input them into your email program (the TO: field). And then please copy the letter or modify it and send. Does that help?

10. Jean-Paul Georges Sacy permalink
    August 30, 2010 2:40 pm

Vergognatevi!!! Shame on you!

11. Nadja Böthin permalink
    August 30, 2010 3:34 pm

please stop this animal cruelty!

12. August 30, 2010 6:48 pm

I find your solution to your overpopulation of dogs and cats completely appalling!!!!! This is not the answer! I have always thought of Italy as a country of warm-hearted, kind people! And I still believe it is for the most part. If you burn your stray cats and dogs your country will be compared to Nazi Germany! The eyes of the world are watching you and I am sure if you go through with this horrendous plan, your tourism dollars will be greatly affected! We will not rest till you dismiss this cruel, way beyond inhumane plan! We will spread the word all over the world! Our planet is brimming over with animal lovers and Italy will be shamed to all! I demand that you find another solution to this problem. You can open no-kill shelters and we will help you find homes for your strays, that is a promise! Please, I am begging you, drop this idea now! I am an animal crusader and I will not stop till you see the light of humanity and the right way to take care of your overpopulating dogs and cats. Also, you can start a spay and neuter campaign. That would greatly help! We will work with you.

13. isabel barros permalink
    August 30, 2010 10:47 pm

mail send, THIS IS OUTRAGEUS!!!

14. Sabrina permalink
    August 31, 2010 12:55 am

please stop this animal cruelty!

15. Voice for the voiceless - VERONICA GALISTAN permalink
    August 31, 2010 2:33 am

Email sent and shared!! Burn the over population of human alive as well. Fair deal!

16. Reneta Petrova permalink
    August 31, 2010 2:39 am

stop animal abuse and cruelty

17. Martina Reischmann permalink
    August 31, 2010 4:18 am

PLEASE stop this animal cruelty !!!

18. LoVegan permalink
    August 31, 2010 6:46 am

Thank you very much, a million times thank you! I’m writing while tears roll down my face, to ask your help again: nobody here seems very interested, especially our politicians and our “animal welfare orgs” (…). The Mayor of Altavilla Irpina issued an order to shoot strays, they are too many. It’s illegal, he is outlaw since it’s HIS fault if the stray population is out of control! If it was my Region I can assure you that I would be hanging on the gate of the local Parliament, but people over there are totally indifferent: THEY abandon dogs THEY don’t neuter dogs (and cats), THEY don’t respect the law. And animals pay for THEIR faults. I wrote, shouted, cried, but nobody cares. Please, help me !! Our animals suffer and die not (only) because of abusers, they suffer and die because 60 million people don’t care. I feel ashamed to be Italian, I really do. http://www.comuni.it/pbase/?IDcom=336. The website of the municipality. Click on “scrivi al Comune” (write to the municipality). The Mayor was on FB , but today vanished. Again thank you, sorry for the long message but you can understand how I feel 😦

19. Jennifer Malis permalink
    August 31, 2010 7:48 am

These acts are cruel and unusual torture to living beings. Animals are NOT old trash to be burned, they are innocents, with emotions and feelings. This is an OUTRAGE for Italy!!!!

20. gerhard permalink
    August 31, 2010 11:57 am

Stop this cruelty, we dont make holiday in italy because of this situation of animal abuse, stop it

21. Klaus und Anita Strahl permalink
    August 31, 2010 12:24 pm

Wir werden allen davon berichten …undalle auffordern keinen mehr Urlaub in Italien zu machen.
    Wir werden keine Ital.Produkte mehr kaufen.

Das Problem ist NUR DER MENSCH.

22. Ann(USA) permalink
    August 31, 2010 12:53 pm

Cruelty is worldwide and I Think some do it for attention, to hurt those close to them knowing they love that pet or just are plane nuts not insane cause drugs and booze can be a factor.

To all those out here on this forum that think Italian are great, warm, caring etc. You are all dead wrong. I am Italian and grew up with this and been to Italy in small and big towns and I need to inform all of you that Italian wear a smile with a knife in their hands. They are fakes and smile to get you to like them and make you believe they are good people, reality is they are not. They are very cruel, inhumane some not all I am saying AND SMALL TOWN FOLKS DON’T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT THE ANIMALS. THEY ARE MOSTLY STRAYS, SOME KICKED AND SHOOED AWAY. Italians in Small towns not sure big ones do not consider animals as pets as some do like the US and other countries that have folks that care. Italians in small towns raise animals for food consumption people, chickens, pigs, rabbits, they love rabbits, its a delicacy for them. Please wake up and smell the coffee, NOW YOU SEE WHY THAT ITALIAN GOVERNMENTS WANTS TO BURN THE ANIMALS. THEY DON’T CARE BOUT THEM AND DO NOT CONSIDER THEM TO BE ANYTHING ONLY TRASH. It was sad to see how those poor dogs and cats were treated, yet those italian smiled and put out alot of food but remember that knife in their hands. I speak from experience, not from my ass.

23. Ann(USA) permalink
    August 31, 2010 12:57 pm

You all should see how the animals are treated in the pounds once the mean dog catcher gets them. They starve them so they eat the weak, keep them in horrible conditions. Bari is a small town in Italy and they have one of the worst pound issues there from another article I read. I have been to that run down old town, nothing to it and of course the people Italians are nice, smile etc, but have knife in their hands and have many gypsy’s in Rome, small kids being taught to steal from Visitors and yes I speak from exeperience as I had seen this for myself. It is awful all over the world. Italy needs to stop buying machine line guns for airport security and treat the animals well. Stop putting on a fake face. When you go against an italian they are vindictive too. One person I know said that her neighbor in italy almost burnt down their place. thats horrible for what over an argument.

24. Debbie Schuette permalink
    August 31, 2010 4:06 pm

Why would anyone want to do this? How can you justify such cruelty to other living creatures. Animals belong to God just as we do. We’re all part of his creation and he loves us all. This is an unspeakable evil and you should be ashamed. Were you never taught to treat others as you want to be treated. I would rethink my decision if you have any decency left. We need to stop teaching our next generation that it is OK to treat another living thing with such cruelty. Maybe they will not want to deal with the older population, you and myself included in that group, and they’ll think of a quick way to eliminate us. After all we have taught them well.

25. Susan Davis permalink
    September 1, 2010 9:48 am

wrote letter:
    Dear Honorable Sirs:

I have learned that Mr. Bardanzellu who is a Regional Representative (Sardinia), has proposed a most horrific criminal method of dealing with your stray animals. I implore you to demand that Mr. Bardanzellu end his official term as Representative immediately! He clearly is not of a sound mental state and should be required to receive immediate psychological examination! We all know that burning live animals is horrendously cruel, evil and illegal.

Imagine my shock that Italy of all places would be host to a leader who would be foolish enough to utter such an evil suggestion. I have always thought of Italy as a country to show leadership in animal welfare. Most of my friends here in the USA are of Italian origin, I will definitely make them aware of this horrendous suggestion by this monstrous Bardanzellu individual!

The answer to stray animals lies with teaching proper responsibility and initiating spay, neuter programs through humane shelters as well as municipalities. These are the only LASTING and HUMANE solutions. Since Italy is home to many animal lovers, finding volunteers for these programs will not be difficult at all.

I urge you to force the termination of Bardanzellu from his position as Representative immediately. I find it necessary to boycott travel to Sardinia and boycott any imports from there until Bardanzellu is removed from Office, and I will urge all my friends to do the same.

With hope that you will agree his termination is required….
    Thank you for your attention to this important matter!

Respectfully,
    Susan Davis

26. Nelson J. Meilak permalink
    September 1, 2010 3:39 pm

Dear Italy leaders,
    Is this how you want the world to view you and your citizens? As cold hearted animal abusers. God put animals on this earth to be loved and cherish. Not to be abused and burned to death. How about taking the right step and find these beautiful creatures loving homes. Also teach your citizens about spay and neutering their animals. Make it a crime to release your pets into the streets. For a country that is the home to the Vatican, you are sending such a wrong message. I will be informing my priest of this crazy though. What happened to love all of Gods creatures? Does this mean the next step is to burn all the homeless humans? Please think about what you are saying and stop this before it goes any further.

Sincerely,
    An animal lover
    Nelson J. Meilak

27. Margie Rick permalink
    September 1, 2010 5:55 pm

FYI: Emails sent today.

28. September 1, 2010 6:13 pm

It is against the law of God and Decent men to harm innocent animals and take their lives. Here in the USA and in our state of Ohio you can go to prison for abusing animals.If it is a crime here and punishable by prison then you will be violating laws by Killing the animals.That isn’t your worst concern though,you should be concerned about facing your Creator/God and answering to having their death on your hands.It is a sad world when it is an easier thing for man to do by killing an animal then to find it a decent home.How sad for you!! Stop the killings !!The soul you save ,may be your own.

29. Michele Kuslits permalink
    September 1, 2010 11:03 pm

I am APPALLED that you would even consider burning ANY living creature alive. If you have an over-population and need to rid of animals, please be humane and use euthanization. Burning animals is very cruel and I cannot IMAGINE my home country and the warm-hearted Italian people to even consider this. At this point I am not proud of my Italian Heritage to know that you would do such a thing. You must be ASHAMED of yourself. I will pray for you because you will certainly suffer when you face your creator if you do such a thing.

30. Judith permalink
    September 1, 2010 11:23 pm

Husband and I working on this now my precious ladies…..

31. Tina permalink
    September 1, 2010 11:35 pm

I am disgusted that this would ever be an option! How could anyone do this? It is beyond comprehension that ………………. I am infuriated and always have hope that the amount of mercy you give out , you will receive.

32. Jessica permalink
    September 2, 2010 12:53 am

Please find another way to deal with this problem!

33. Jean permalink
    September 2, 2010 6:53 am

Please help try to put them in homes or no kill shelters or shelters that will take them and try to take care of them. Please do not just kill inocent animals that cannot help themselves. PLEASE TRY TO HELP THEM….please!!! Try to listen to us, do something to help them. Thank you…

34. Paula permalink
    September 2, 2010 7:25 am

Unable to send. I have comcast. I tried to copy all the email address for a mass mailing and tried to do it separate. I get errors.

This is very disturbing. They s/enforce a law to spay/neuter. Fine those who do not comply. I know there are breeders that like the $ from selling but when the population of animals is so overwhelming that they would burn them, something needs to be done

35. September 2, 2010 8:01 am

To call this man an animal would be a compliment. This sounds like something HITLER would do!!! Disgusting!

If you live in the USA and are looking to adopt or save a dog or puppy, please visit http://www.DogsInDanger.com They list shelters in the USA who have dogs and puppies that are going to be euthanized in just a few days or less! They have all different breeds and ages, from 2 weeks on up to adults. The cost is a lot less than what Rescues charge, and some will even transport for a reasonable fee. We adopted from out of state and can’t wait until she gets here!!!

Please take a look or pass the info on to your friends. These dogs and pups will love you until their last heartbeat.

Thank you! : )

***I do not work for nor am I affiliated with this website, I only adopted a puppy from a shelter that was listed there, and hope to get the word out to save some more sweet little souls***

36. joelle C permalink
    September 2, 2010 11:10 am

Letter sent, thank you. One more country to boycott…

37. Michelle permalink
    September 2, 2010 11:33 am

I am completely disgusted by the thought of this! How can someone justify killing living creatures in such a barbaric way! They need to find a different solution. Do not make the innocent pay for a problem humans created and cannot solve.

38. regine permalink
    September 2, 2010 1:58 pm

sent a letter. lets all fight for this!! animals deserve better!

39. Richard Schaefer permalink
    September 2, 2010 6:02 pm

I am not pleased….

40. Meaghan Edwards permalink
    September 2, 2010 6:16 pm

Beyond messed up. There’s something called spaying and neutering, get some clinics set up, make it mandatory for children to learn responsible pet ownership and why it is a good idea to speuter.

41. Michelle permalink
    September 3, 2010 6:05 am

This would be better as a change.org petition – it is too complicated, I got confused, and if I am confused, others will not bother to do it. This should also be definitely highlighted to:

Chair Committee on Agriculture and Rural Developmen…t
    Paolo DE CASTRO (Italian) paolo.decastro@europarl.europa.eu

Chair Committee on Petitions
    Erminia MAZZONI (Italian) erminia.mazzoni@europarl.europa.eu

As both these MEPs are Italian…. disagraceful that this is the state of stray animal welfare in an established EU country 😦

42. Tami permalink
    September 3, 2010 1:48 pm

sent a short message..

43. September 3, 2010 2:02 pm

Unbelievable anyone would dare abuse defenseless creatures like this. Coward..

44. Alanna permalink
    September 3, 2010 11:39 pm

Killing these animals is sick, inhuman, and despicable.

45. Sandy R. permalink
    September 4, 2010 5:38 pm

It makes me so damn sick+angry to know that there’re peoples where are so cruell to animals and i hope so much that they’ll suffer in hell 4.always!

46. bobbi permalink
    September 5, 2010 6:08 am

I am an italian animal right activist and vegan and living in Italy. I want to write down a couple of words in defense af all the Italians that, like me, are running a battle against animal cruelty of all kind. Believe me, we are many, many, many people. It’s true, we have sick people in our government, we still have a large problem with education about animal rights in the south and a lot of so called shelters are places of torture. But for as many bad shelters there is a larger number of very good ones, places where animals are cared for and cured, and where hopefully they leave only when a good adoptive family is found. Italy is the nation with the largest nuber of vegans and vegetarian in Europe, and it’s also one of the smallest countries. This must mean something I guess. Don’t shoot against Italian people, help us in our campaign.
    You have no Idea what happened when that news came through…I guess Alberico Villani must watch his back.
    Thanks,
    Barbara
    P.s.
    Villani means “rude” in Italian. When you say the destiny is in your name.

47. Anonymous permalink
    September 7, 2010 10:47 am

In response to Bobbi. I am full blooded Italian and never new that most of Italy was vegetarian or vegan since most small towns do raise animals for consumption one being rabbit, italians love rabbit. Also, many Italians all over can not do without meat as they are conovours did I spell that right. Most my relatives refuse to give up meat and when Easter comes watch out, they buy a lamb or goat and cut throat and eat it.

So I beg to differ that most italians are vegan or vegetarians cause they love their meat and pasta and yes they eat salads but like their meatballs and fish on christmas eve as its the festival of fish such as eel. That is groce I would never ever eat that fish ever.

48. Anonymous permalink
    September 7, 2010 10:48 am

The Town of Bari there in Italy had a bad rap on the internet for treating their animals very badly.

49. Anonymous permalink
    September 7, 2010 10:50 am

I forgot to mention the Bari dog pounds too. and most italians in small towns do not recognize cats and dogs as pets mostly dogs are strays not seen many cats tho. People really have to visit to see what is going on there as I have seen with my own eyes and I am full italian. The country is beautiful but thank God I live in the good ol USA cause I love animals and most there do not.

• September 8, 2010 12:18 pm

In response to anon. I never said Italians are mostly Vegan or vegetarians, I said we have the largest number of vegan and vegetarians in Europe. That’s a bit different. I live in a very small town and not everyone in Easter kill lambs, not everyone raise animals for consumption. There is a little bit of everything, like in the rest of the world. It’s true Bari and the south of italy has a big problem with strays and dog pounds, but there are many association that i work for (do you want the numbers?)that are trying to solve the problem. If you really believe the US love animals more than italians, you should read some statistics and talk to activists there.I do. There are the same problems in every western country. Everywhere there are people that won’t respect animals and people that are fighting for their rights. In Italy too. I’ve been an activist for over twenty years and never alone. My father is from a small town near Bari, called Corato, and there is a wonderful shelter that was built and is run by volunteers…and then yes, there are a lot of strays. A little bit of this and a little bit of that, just like everywhere else.

50. Yasmine Kharshoum permalink
    March 24, 2011 5:44 am

Please don’t, they have every right to live like us, please have some mercy..

Trackbacks

1. Bella, davvero bella questa provocazione idiota! « Chiliamacisegua
  2. Chiliamacisegua | Bella, davvero bella questa provocazione idiota!
  3. Please Demand Justice for Parrot, Dog Shot at D.C. Festival « Our Compass