Europe’s First Abolitionist Vegan Advertising Campaign

November 23, 2015

Source Linkedin
By Sandra Higgins

Eden Farmed Animal Sanctuary & Matilda’s Promise, Animal Rights & Vegan Education Centre, have launched a Public Advertising Campaignon transport and street signage throughout Ireland.

The ads, which focus on abolition of animal use, and on the harm caused bydairy and egg consumption, will appear:

• on Buses throughout Ireland
  • on Bus Shelters throughout Ireland
  • in Dublin DART trains
  • on Billboards throughout Ireland
  • in newspapers/magazines
  • in Third Level Colleges and Universities throughout Ireland

The campaign will run throughout November in celebration of World Vegan Month.

The campaign is designed to counteract speciesism at the levels of individual prejudice and the socio-cultural norm. The ads allow individual non-humans to use their voice to ask for empathic engagement, to awaken conscious awareness of the harm we cause by using them, and to ask for the justice to which they are entitled.

This is an effective way of reaching a large population of non-vegans. The ads provide a direct link, through Free Text and a QR Scan Code to a Free Vegan Kit and to an educational website www.govegan.ie, both of which offer practical information to begin living vegan, as well as comprehensive information on the issues concerning our use of other animals. There is also a Facebook Page Go Vegan Ireland.

Joanna Lucas, Peaceful Prairie, our Campaign Designer, has created ads  that allow the featured animals to crack open the darkness of their world that has been hidden for too long. The ads shine light on something that is rotten and wrong to its core, and direct people into the brighter path of veganism.

The campaign is inspired by the residents I work with at Eden Farmed Animal Sanctuary who have taught me everything I know about the personhood of the animals we harm. I have seen the light go out of too many eyes. Every one of them fights to the last breath to hold onto the only life they have. The least we owe them is a vegan world.

spread the word
in every corner and nook
perhaps the heart will

perhaps the heart will
    see after the
    eyes take
    a look

Liked by 2 people

3. November 24, 2015 6:44 am

How marvelous! If I spot any here in Mayo I will try to take a photo. I may even be brave enough to ask random people what they think about it. It would be wonderful if more people in Ireland were even aware of the issue. Here in rural Ireland it is still very hard to find good vegetarian meals outside the home, but it’s almost impossible to find vegan ones. We are still mostly at the Can-vegetarians-eat-fish?-stage here. 😦 I’m not sure many would know what being vegan entails.

Liked by 1 person

• December 6, 2015 2:07 pm

Thank you, Sarah!

• December 7, 2015 2:07 am

I haven’t spotted any yet. I wonder whether they will make it out to the rural areas of the country.

4. December 6, 2015 12:54 pm

Please, please, remove the link to PeTA from this article. The Eden campaign takes the justice-for-all philosophy of vegan seriously. I’m sure they would not want anyone directed to the juvenile sexism of PeTA.

Thanks

Dr. Roger Yates

• December 6, 2015 2:21 pm

I like to include that link because they will ship a free vegan kit internationally, and that’s the only one that I know of that will do that, but I removed it, I don’t want to offend them.