Newington Police Officer Fires Six Shots To Kill Dog, Please Send Letter Asking for Investigation

April 23, 2012

Wikimedia Commons | Not Boozer, killed dog

SOURCE | FACEBOOK

UPDATE

A well-respected, well-established business offered the Newington Police Department **FREE** training on how to handle and read dogs two weeks before Boozer was killed. The Newington Police deemed the training unnecessary and therefore declined it. Because of the pressure we’ve been putting on them, they brought in an investigator that is not part of NPD. So there is progress.

BACKGROUND | COURANT

A police officer shot and killed a pit bull dog Monday as it was charging him and a bystander, police said Wednesday.

Sgt. John Zematis said the bystander, a tree trimmer working in the area, had taken cover behind the officer as the dog charged at them with its mouth open. The officer fired one shot when the dog was 12 to 15 feet away. The dog was hit and dropped, but then got back up and charged again, he said.

“It’s an unfortunate incident, but the officer acted to protect himself and the witness,” he said.

A resident who lives on Main Street called police at about 2:30 p.m. to complain about a roaming dog. When the officer arrived, the dog was near the back yard of the house, where a tree trimmer working nearby tried to help him catch it.

Police said the dog snapped at them, then ran to the other side of the yard before turning and charging.

Zematis said the dog had no collar or tags, but the owner was eventually identified. He said no charges have been filed against the owner, who lives about a block from the scene.

A woman who said she is the daughter of the owner, but asked not to be identified, said the family has filed a complaint with the police asking for an investigation of the shooting. She said her mother, the owner, was devastated by the death of the dog, which she described as gentle.

“I’ve never seen him be aggressive,” she said.

Police did not identify the officer or the address of the house on Main Street.

WHOM TO CONTACT

Chief of Police Richard Mulhall

Telephone:

(860) 594-6201

Email:

rmulhall@newingtonct.gov

SAMPLE LETTER

Dear Chief Mulhall,

I have learned of a disturbing case of an officer-involved shooting of a dog on Monday, April 16, in Newington, and I am respectfully requesting that an investigation be initiated.

Please allow me to elaborate.  My only focus is to protect the innocent, sentient animals that others regard as mere sacrificial, expendable beings, objectified and disposable. When animals are subjected to such brutality with no human accountability, our society inaccurately concludes that animals are not worthy of empathy, compassion, or rights. We become desensitized to the issue of animal abuse, and our children learn troubling lessons that are contrary to respect of and towards animals, which often evolves into a lack of empathy for humans. We must do everything in our power to allocate necessary resources to investigation, apprehension, and prosecution of animal cruelty cases. I understand that yours can be a challenging position, limited by vague and inadequate laws as well as insufficient funds; however, I believe we can make a difference or initiate change to better protect our animal friends. Please proceed with the intent of a full investigation and subsequent penalties if warranted.

Thank you for your time and attention to this urgent issue.

NAME

1. MARIA SONIA ESTRADA-SOLERO permalink
    April 24, 2012 3:26 am

carcel para los asesinos de animales

April 24, 2012 4:01 am

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:13 AM
    From:
    “Mulhall, Richard C.”
    Add sender to Contacts
    To:
    “jt waldie”

Thank you for your comments. I have responded to your group.
    (this is the email I just received from this police officer…so I immediately jumped to this blog to see what he had written to “my group” and no great surprise NO RESPONSE!

• lesdom permalink
      April 24, 2012 9:46 am

I have responded to your group? I wonder who he responded to.

4. Laura permalink
    April 24, 2012 9:28 am

This is a sad, unfortunate event that should never had happened if the Newington police were properly trained. This absolutly disgusts me im sorry but this story sounds rediculous on the officers behalf there is NOOOOOOOOOOOO reason that this dog deserved 1 bullet let alone 6. I am asking for a full investigation on behalf of the dog and his family.

5. steve permalink
    April 24, 2012 6:45 pm

I think their should be an investigation I don’t agree with the way the officer handled the situation I know what its like to have a dog shot my dog was shot buy hunters up here in Massachusetts and it was heartbreaking for my whole family he was a gentle and loveable dog and I think that family deserves the right to a full investigation

6. shanrlaz07@yahoo.com permalink
    April 26, 2012 6:28 pm

It is unfortunate that these animals are more often than not groomed to be fighters and status symbols. This breed is loving and protective but only harmfull if provocted and trained to be that way. They are also a very curious, playfull, and excited breed. I have no doubt this cop is in the wrong for stereotyping this dog and doing something other than protecting New Britain. We have shootings regularly and crime regularly but they are never there in time to deal with dangerous situations that are required to save lifes. I know the owner of this dog and I cannot see this person “training” this dog to attack anyone. Pit bulls play and growl but I know in my heart that this owner didn’t train this dog to attack. I have had situations with NB cops and they were in the wrong but how dare we challenge an “officer of the law?” BS! Congrats to the one who started this news letter/patition and Im in favor of justice. I hope the law is challenged through this and justice is served. Being an officer is worthy of respect if you are a respectful officer.

7. April 28, 2012 6:04 am

An absolute disgrace,no excuse for police officers to feel they can fire at will.

Trackbacks

1. Please send another letter regarding Boozer, dog shot and killed by Newington Police « Our Compass